Andy Varela, a chef and farmer, knows the produce market very well. Varela has a diverse background in the culinary industry, and continues to bring his expertise to customers, no matter how simple the task. This time, Varela will show you how to properly prepare beets for a variety of uses.
Beets, other than their red color, have a multitude of benefits to them. For starters, beets are an anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and help the body with detoxification. However, like most foods, the nutritional values diminish with extended cooking time. Beets should cook for roughly 15 minutes in a steam, and no more than an hour while baking.
One cup of beets provides a good balance of daily minerals that are essential to live a healthy life. In this amount, beets contain 37% daily value of folate as well as over 20% of daily manganese levels. Beets are high in fiber, potassium and vitamin C as well. All these nutrients add up to only 58 calories, 3% of your daily value.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1. Rinse the beets under water.
2. Season the beets with salt and olive oil.
3. Preheat your oven to 500ºF.
4. Place the beets on a baking tray, and bake for 25 minutes.
5. After baking the beets, let them sit for at least 20 minutes, covered.
6. Using a clean towel, or your hands, peel the beets and remove all the skin.
7. Cut the beets in half, and then make 3-4 vertical slices. Chop the beets to your desired size.